Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Dubbing Reel-to-Reel to CD

"Colin B." wrote in
message
In rec.audio.tech Matt Ion wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
ups.com

So, when I have acquired a Behringer UCA202, I will
investigate some of the packages recomended in this
thread. Thus far the folks here have given me an
education. :-)

Go to google and find the web site for Audacity. It's
freeware and really pretty good.

I'll second the recommendation for Audacity. Dunno if
it has direct-CD-burning capability, but your laptop
already has the burning software, so all you need to do
is capture to 44.1kHz/16-bit/stereo WAVs, do whatever
editing you desire, and burn the files via your burning
software.

I can't quite understand the hype around Audacity. I
guess my computer is just so slow that it reveals the
bugs. On a 1GHz processor though, it cannot actually
record sound without dropouts and glitches. Once those
glitches are in the data stream, it cannot write out to a
.wav file that will write to
a standard audio CD.

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.