Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Store PA Backgd Music Adjustment

Sighhhhh.. The very latest in our thrift-store IP-fed music system...

Two weeks ago, the music just got softer and softer, then
just faded away entirely, replaced by a nasty 60Hz hum.

A tech showed up later that week, removed and re-
connected some wires in back of the amp and the music
receiver, and got a faint trickle of music back. The 60Hz
hum remained. He showed me that "CD/Aux" no longer had
any effect on the music volume. Since I was curious, he had
me make a couple "Testing 1 - 2 - 3" pages over the thing -
A-OK. He explained all this to the store manager and me,
indicating that the aux mode was shot and that they needed
a new amp. The manager didn't want to eat into her weekly
budget to buy a replacement, so the tech examined a few
other options in the closet.

He then explained that he was going to reroute the music
receiver feed directly through the telephony box that fed
phone pages into the amp/house system. Ten or twenty
minutes later... "..USED TO CALL ME ON MAH CELL
PHONE, LATE NIGHT WHEN YOU NEED MY LUV. CALL
ME ON my cell pho... ..ate night when you NEED my luv"
He hollered at me, "How's that?" I told him, "Lower it just
a hair and its perfect".

He showed me how the music is adjusted now - it goes
through a small panel on the wall with some pots he needs
a tiny screwdriver to tweak. He rigged it so it still cuts
the music when someone pages over the PA, but now
the music plays constantly through an outdoor horn
mounted by the back loading dock. Music volume is
no longer regulated via "CD/Aux" knob on the amp,
but bass and treble still affect it. The 60hz hum persists
in the background, but the music is actually a bit clearer
and punchier. I adjusted the bass & treble on a return trip
to the closet after he left - the treble was too high again!

As a sidenote, for some time that Aux knob has felt
wobbly and turns loosely, like someone banged it by
accident or over-turned it. Either way it was already
dying or dead by the time this tech was called in.
The only catch is now the music volume can no longer
be adjusted by anyone in the store, so it is playing
constantly, unless a manager switches off the amp,
which the #1 mgr is afraid to even touch that thing,
LOL!