Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Pure Music to DAC - again

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

In the absence of blind tests supporting these claims, there is a
finite probability that the restlessness observed is due to anxiety over not
keeping up with the latest in the emporer's new sample rates.

I can't speak for others, but that isn't the case with me. At present,
my listening argument is limited to 44.1/16 and my observation is, on
the same equipment, recent releases are easier to listen to for long
periods than early releases. I don't want to drag SACD, HD downloads,
vinyl or tape into this because that opens a whole other can of worms

I am sure there were some great early releases as well as some terrible
recent releases. I am also sure the kind of music I am listening to at
any time is a factor. That is why I stressed that it is completely
subjective and may not affect anybody else but me. Apparently it does
affect other people but I can't say if the same thing is going on or not.

I would venture, without any evidence to support it, that whatever was
done to improve CDs probably has carried over to other media.
Consequently, if 96/24 sounds better or is just more comfortable to
listen to for long periods it could well be because of technological
advances involving digital mastering. In other words, I don't think a
96/24 recording of crummy material is going to sound any better because
it was done at 96/24.