Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default HiFi Speakers to Computer

"Roko" wrote ...
OK, since my mother tongue is not English (of any "kind", no matter what
side of any ocean from) and since I'm a noob when it comes to HiFi, help
me understand this:

Picture 1:
http://www.audio-video.com.hr/img/pr...wood/6300s.jpg - a
HiFi *receiver*? (which I referred to as a "HiFi system" in my first
post up there. (a "HiFi system" would be a receiver+speakers?))

Yes that is a typical "receiver" (power amplifier and radio tuner and
input selector and volume/tone controls). That is what most of us are
recommending for your computer. In most places here in the US,
older discarded receivers are available for free or almost free.

Picture 2:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ima...c-kit/3050.jpg - a
HiFi *amplifier*?
You say I could get one of these easily, and for a fair price? Would it
be everything I needed if I just wanted to connect passive speakers
(which I already have) to the computer?

That is an example of an amplifier module kit. There are perhaps 100
different kinds of those amplifier module kits available online. They
are perfectly adequate for your computer speakers, but they would
require assembly, power supply, enclosure, connectors, etc. A fun
project if that is what you are interested in. Else it is certainly faster
and cheaper to just find an old receiver.