Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default HiFi Speakers to Computer

OK, since my mother tongue is not English (of any "kind", no matter what
side of any ocean from) and since I'm a noob when it comes to HiFi, help
me understand this:

Picture 1:
http://www.audio-video.com.hr/img/pr...wood/6300s.jpg - a
HiFi *receiver*? (which I referred to as a "HiFi system" in my first
post up there. (a "HiFi system" would be a receiver+speakers?))

Yes, that looks like a typical hi-fi or A/V receiver. It has the
preamplifier, probably an FM tuner, and multiple amplifier sections.
Since its display says "6CH" I'd guess it's a home-theatre model, with
perhaps as many as six amplification channels. You only need two
channels, so this would be "overkill" for your application.

Picture 2:
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ima...c-kit/3050.jpg - a
HiFi *amplifier*?
You say I could get one of these easily, and for a fair price? Would it
be everything I needed if I just wanted to connect passive speakers
(which I already have) to the computer?

This little module looks as if it's just part of the power supply, not
the amplifier itself.

On the http://www.quasarelectronics.com/audio-amplifiers.htm page,
look under "stereo audio amplifier modules". One of the modules that
has somewhere between 10 and 25 watts per channel would probably be
adequate for what you need. You'd need to provide a power supply, as
well.

I agree with what other people have suggested: go find yourself a
used stereo audio amplifier or receiver. Simple stereo receivers are
very easy to find on the used market: a lot of people have upgraded
their homes to have many-channel "home theatre" receivers or
amplifiers, and the older two-channels stereo receivers are no longer
needed.

I don't know where you live, but around here (California) one can walk
into any thrift store (charity-donation shop) and find a bunch of
older stereo amplifiers or receivers that have simply been given away
by their owners, and are being sold to raise money for charity. If
you go around a residential neighborhood on a nice weekend, you'll
usually find people running "garage sales", and finding a used
receiver at one of these is a very common thing.

Buying a used stereo receiver is probably going to be both the
easiest, and least expensive solution to your problem.

The only reasons I'd see for building up a dedicated amplifier-only
solution from a kit or from modules, would be if you want the
experience of doing the electronic assembly, or you have some
restriction on the installation (e.g. it must fit into a certain
space) which simply can't be met by a full-size receiver.

Just buying a ten-watt stereo amplifier module and a power supply
would probably cost you more than a used receiver with considerably
more power.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO