Posted to rec.audio.tech
geoff geoff is offline

Default HiFi Speakers to Computer

Roko wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here, and for starters I have a really noobish question:

Why exactly is it impossible to connect HiFi Speakers to a computer
(except because of the fact that they don't have a mini-jack plug
(at least mine don't) )?

It isn 't impossible, but you won't hear much.

I know it's possible to connect a computer to a HiFi system (by
plugging it into "Line In"/"AUX"), but I would like to be able to do
it without the Hi-Fi system, only with the speakers.

The 'hi-fi system' includes an amplifier, which is necessary to provide
sufficient power to make the speakers sound liud enough.

I guess what I really want to know is what kind of a 'converter' is
there inside the Hi-Fi system..? Does it modify the signal from the
computer, or is it merely a small circuit just adapting the
amperage/voltage/impedance/whatever..?

It amplifies the signal from a computer, CD, Tuner, DVD, turntable,
whatever, to enable the sound to be heard from speakers.

geoff