Mike Rivers

Default Help Upgrading PC Please!!!

Glenn Booth writes:

I guess there is a
potential pitfall in that putting the old OS onto the new machine can
cause problems, especially if you use it to boot from. It could have
different chipset inf files, drivers etc. that might cause it to fail to
boot.

Any version of Windows since 95 will boot in the "safe" mode without
any special drivers. That would be enough to get it to see the CD with
the new version of Windows. Once that starts cranking, it should load
all the drivers it needs for the hardware that it finds. This is why
it's a good idea to start this procedure with a clone of a working (on
an older OS) drive rather than just stick that drive in the new
computer and update it. At least you still have a working drive if the
update fails.

95 to 98 isn't such a big deal, as they are both kind of DOS based.
Win2k and XP can be more problematic, especially since MS seem to change
to version of NTFS at every opportunity.

Good thought. And in fact, there may be an advantage to using NTFS in
an audio machine.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )