Roger W. Norman

Default Help Upgrading PC Please!!!

I don't think you need to worry John. Any Intel based mobo will probably do
fine, but the new SiS chipsets seem to kick some butt as far as bus
throughtput. Check out www.tomshardware.com and read some of the newer
information on the P4 Extended Edition chip which is supposed (seemingly it
does) with the Athlong 64 bit chip. Hell, I'm even considering switching
back to an Intel so I don't have to worry about VIA chipset problems with my
MOTU.

But as far as RAM, etc., you'll find out on the website. And there are some
interesting downloadable videos of systems being tested on the site. Yank
the fan, most Athlons fry. Yank the fan on an Intel and it politely cuts
off without burning out.

And I'm an Athlon guy! g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I need to upgrade an existing machine. It is an ABIT MOBO running a

Celeron
1.3 with old PC100 ram.
1. Can I replace the MOBO and Processor with a new one running a P4,

probably a
3.0 or so..it needs to be an Intel processor.
2. What kind of RAM do I need for this combo.
3. Can I use the same "C" drive meaning leave the old drive in with it's
operating system..XP Pro...how do I have to reset for the new MOBO/CPU.
I know I need to get someone to do the work I'm not qualified to do..I

just
want to get an idea what I need so I can price out the upgrade.

thanks,

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.