Posted to rec.audio.pro
timewarp2008 timewarp2008 is offline

Default Sue you, sue me blues

On May 18, 6:46*pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:
vdubreeze wrote:
On May 18, 5:35 pm, "Bill Graham" wrote:

ll I know is what I need to know. They bought off our congressmen
in the
past to make laws in restraint of trade, and my friends and I are
suffering for it. What else should I know besides that? But if you
think that's OK, (to give them money for playing music whose
rightful owners are long dead and gone) then please tell me why. You
know, if we were printing and selling their music, or reaping some
profit on a large scale, perhaps I would see your point. But these
ass holes are going around to little one horse bars and dance halls
that are barely scraping by in this failing economy and hasstling
people over the few bucks they can squeek out by playing some music
to draw in a few more pitiful customers. And, if they were getting
the money to the composers and/or their wives.... But, in fact, they
don't give qa dime to any of those people. They are just padding
their own pockets with it. First, they bought off our government to
make3 laws in restraing of trade, and now they are going to hasstle
the little people for the rest of time. How the hell can you justify
that?

BMI, ASCAP and SESAC are U.S. performing rights organizations. *Their
sole job, and the reason people join them voluntarily, is to collect
royalties when a song owner's music is used in TV, radio, or any shape
or form of performance. *They have zero to do with ownership,
copyrights or publishing of music, nor sales of music. *There is no
law that says one must join them. * You simply don't know what you're
talking about.

I know that any song written after 1927 (84 years ago) can't be played by
anybody in any establishment that makes any money selling anything to any
customers. This is what I am "talking about". Not just the songs written by,
"members". All songs. *And even the ones written before 1927, (if you can't
show the original sheet music with the pre 1927 date printed on it.) Now, if
I write a song, and want that song to be protected. So I join BMI and pay
them dues to protect it for me, then I would agree with you. but that's not
what's going on. They bought the right to hasstle people over all songs
written after 1927. And, the burden of proof is on you, and not BMI to prove
that the song was written before then. IOW, all music written after 1927 is
the property of BMI and they can hassle people who perform it anywhere that
money changes hands for any reason. And you are happy with that?

The problem is that "all [you] know" is all you want to know,
and it doesn't matter to you whether you have your facts straight.
You're deep into voluntary bull-headed ignorance. The actual
facts have been explained to you, repeatedly, often by people
who deal with these issues on a regular basis. But you don't
care, you don't want to be educated. You haven't bothered to
read and understand, even when you've been given good pracitical
suggestions for how you can legally play dixieland music in
your pizza pub, affordably or even free. But you don't care,
because your goal is not to play dixieland music in the pizza
pub.

Your goal is to rant and whine, and prove to people who already
know it, that you've decided to be an ignorant troll, and you
won't bother to use any fragments of brain that may still
remain in that block of concrete above your shoulders. Rather
than understanding and trying to resolve your complaints with
prefer perfectly reasonable explanations and work-arounds in,
you obviously prefer whining about problems that are your own fault.

No, I won't get off your lawn, Numpty. Are you happy with that?