Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Sue you, sue me blues

Bill Graham wrote:
Ben Bradley wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 17:43:36 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:
Ben Bradley wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 23:02:41 -0700, "Bill Graham"

It seems to me that the extra convenience of doing it with one
click would be the reward in itself. IOW, the extra business they
would get from folks like me who don't mind paying a few bucks
more to escape the hasstle of doing all the peperwork should be
reward enough without getting a patent on the system, but, what
do I know?

The idea is to stop OTHER online services from doing the same
thing (or at worst force them to pay Amazon some amount every time
a competitor's customer buys something with it), insuring that
those who like shopping that way can only do it with Amazon.

Sounds like something that might be judged, "In restraint of trade"
to me.

Ordinarily, perhaos so, but it's my understanding that's what a
patent is, a LEGAL way for a company to restrain what other companies
do. If it's considered overbroad, other companies can go to court to
challenge the patent.

Not to change the subject, but I'd sure like to free up some
of the music written before 1950. After all, its over 60 years ole
by now, and the original composers are mostly dead and gone, so who
is profiting from selling this stuff? Someone who'se only claim to
fame is they have a faster lawyer. I used to go down to our local
pizza place once a month and listen to a 5 piece dixieland band
while I ate my pizza. Then BMI sued the pizza place and now the
guys can't play there without the owner paying BMI $1000 every year
for songs that were written before Louis Armstrong was born.

Sorry. Armstrong was born in 1901. So the songs were written before
he was
30. But that's still bad enough when you consider that the
songwriters were about as old as Louis was, if not older.....

So these are songs in the 1925-1930 era? Apparently this is within
the "Mickey Mouse" era (where copyright was extended back to the
creation of that character), and that's enough for a performing rights
organization to demand performance royalties.

I know. They bought the rights of every popular song written after 1927.
And so all that music can't be leagally performed in coffee houses, bars
and pizza joints and the like anywhere in the US. (and perhaps anywhere
in the world) This is a crock! The original composers of these songs are
long dead and gone. why should Walt Disney and BMI get any money from them?

He who has the gold makes the rules.

A much more reasonable way to do it would be to make any composition the
sole property of the composer for some reasonable period, like say 60
yeaqrs. So he/she could reap the profits for essentially the rest of
their life. After that, the music should revert to the public domain.
Th3e idea that some third party can buy it and keep the public from
enjoying it for the rest of time is disgusting to me.

--
Les Cargill