Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

Default Sue you, sue me blues

On Mon, 9 May 2011 17:43:36 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

Bill Graham wrote:
Ben Bradley wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 23:02:41 -0700, "Bill Graham"

It seems to me that the extra convenience of doing it with one click
would be the reward in itself. IOW, the extra business they would
get from folks like me who don't mind paying a few bucks more to
escape the hasstle of doing all the peperwork should be reward
enough without getting a patent on the system, but, what do I know?

The idea is to stop OTHER online services from doing the same thing
(or at worst force them to pay Amazon some amount every time a
competitor's customer buys something with it), insuring that those
who like shopping that way can only do it with Amazon.

Sounds like something that might be judged, "In restraint of trade"
to me.

Ordinarily, perhaos so, but it's my understanding that's what a
patent is, a LEGAL way for a company to restrain what other companies
do. If it's considered overbroad, other companies can go to court to
challenge the patent.

Not to change the subject, but I'd sure like to free up some
of the music written before 1950. After all, its over 60 years ole by
now, and the original composers are mostly dead and gone, so who is
profiting from selling this stuff? Someone who'se only claim to fame
is they have a faster lawyer. I used to go down to our local pizza
place once a month and listen to a 5 piece dixieland band while I ate
my pizza. Then BMI sued the pizza place and now the guys can't play
there without the owner paying BMI $1000 every year for songs that
were written before Louis Armstrong was born.

Sorry. Armstrong was born in 1901. So the songs were written before he was
30. But that's still bad enough when you consider that the songwriters were
about as old as Louis was, if not older.....

So these are songs in the 1925-1930 era? Apparently this is within
the "Mickey Mouse" era (where copyright was extended back to the
creation of that character), and that's enough for a performing rights
organization to demand performance royalties.