Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:56:12 +0300, "Iain M Churches"
: wrote:
:
: "Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
: .. .
:
: BTW, no one uses tubes *seriously* for audio.
: I would say that was *serious* use of tubes for
: audio.
:
: You just don't get it, do you? This is all part of the *performance*,
: obtaining the best possible sound *on the master tape*. Once you have
: obtained that sound, you then want it to be *reproduced* in an
: absolutely neutral manner up to ~~ the loudspeaker terminals. For
that,
: SS is more reliable.
: --
:
~~ only up to the loudspeaker terminals ? Why would you want that,
Stewart ??
Are you serious ???;-)
Rudy

I think the point is, Rudy, that some people do not have a high level of
aural
perception, so they use measured performance instead of what their ears
and
their
heart tell them is good. Music is also about emotion.

This is something we have to accept. Such people are entitled to their
preferences.
I have been listening to a Carver Professional SS amp on and off for
about a
month.
It has an even more impressive spec than the Krell, but it does not
produce
music
well.

My cellist friend compares his SS amp to his McIntosh valve amp as
"the difference between looking at a sharp focus black and white
photograph
and an oil on canvas painting of the same subject"

The opinion of a cellist could be entirely arty-farty,
and so let's just hope his/her ability is of a
listenable standard.

I think you would approve of this one, Patrick. he is a Russian
ex pat, and the man who introduced me to SET not too long ago.
He plays the Shostokovich 'cello concerto as only a fellow countryman
can.

ensemble of about 12 young souls, and with a visiting pianist of

excellent
talent.
Its been a long time since I heard real music played and heard just as
the palace and court of nobles would have heard it on their sunday
afternoons
in 1792.
Works by List and Haydn and a few others were played, quite a variety.....

I too am pleased to see the talent of young players. On a recent trip to
Prague, I noticed that every second young person was carrying a violin
case. Surely they did not all containThompson sub machine guns?

I also have quite a lot to do with youth orchestras, and college
jazz ensembles. The standard of playing, and the enthusiasm
of the players is quite remarkable.

Tomorrow I have another concert for an hour with an
ensemble of harpists, which will teach me not to sin,
lest I be kept out of heaven, where they play a lot of harp music.

Enjoy. It may be the closest to the celestial kingdom that you
(or any of us) will get:-)

The concert turned out to be well worth attending.

About 2/3 was devoted to a female soloist who played a variety of works by CP
Bach,
and several modern composers.
She than moved on to use an electro accoustic harp hooked up to a
digital tape loop and effects box operated by foot switches, a couple of
Bose PA speakers with those funny ports on them.
The EA harp seemed to have what seemed to be a lot of pedals.
No tubes to be seen anywhere, but the sound of the acoustic
response from the harp through the pick up from each string wasn't harsh.
Then she pedalled and plucked he way through 20 minutes of the most
unique type of music I have ever heard, at one point adjusting her "set"
and placing a bow through the harp to play a very LF "tune" with
utter control and dexterity.
She made most other pop musicans seem like complete morons,
which they are, and will remain, until they gain their credentials and my
respect
only after several years at music school.

The last segment of the concert was devoted to works by 5 female harpists
playing 6 normal concert harps together.

It could be said that a man can do a lot.

But a woman can do a heck of a lot more....

The lady friend with whom I went to friday's concert
never showed up for this one when she said she'd definately be there.
Probably something forthright about art and where imagination comes from
I said scared her off, or ****ed her off.
Women can do so much, but don't ever think
you can ever possibly understand them. They don't even let us know when we have
upset them. Time I gave up on this uncomunicative woman.

Patrick Turner.