Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default New web pages, 2016, about AM radio

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 3:17:00 AM UTC-5, Patrick Turner wrote:

Should you wish to fuel up the flame thrower, be my guest, gas should be at rock bottom prices because the Ay Rabs can afford to sell oil at much lower prices......

Far from it - AM radio once upon a time was a world standard and pretty good. I have a Zenith console from the 1930s that is capable of producing excellent sound - if fed a decent signal.

Sadly, AM today is a hodge-podge of compressed, limited bandwidth garbage shilling religion and the likes of Rush Limbaugh with little redeeming social value in very much most cases. I solve that problem for myself by using a small, full-range (20-20K uncompressed) transmitter from a CD changer. Most older AM receivers are much better than the signal fed to them.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA