Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default If you had to replace HD 580 headphones...

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message

I've switched over to the ATH-M50s recently and they seem to translate
pretty well, but I've been hearing some high frequency oddities since
getting an Apogee Mini-Dac that don't show up on the 7506s.

Hmm.

My take is that M50s are less colored than 7506s, and less colored generally
means more telling about subtle differences.

Also just got some Sennheiser HD-280 Pro sets at work that sound a bit
like the ATs at first impression.

Please listen again. ;-)

I have a pair of HD 280s that came out of storage after the thefts, if you
catch my drift...

They're mechanically similar to the
ATs, so might produce the same comfort issues but I haven't worn them
that long yet.

I can live with my M50s pretty well, but the 280s fit my head like a vise.
The good news is that tight fit is good for the bass, but the bass isn't the
most important thing to me. Actually, the 280s sound somewhat thumpy to me.