Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default If you had to replace HD 580 headphones...

If what you say were absolutely true (rather than generally true), then
there would be little agreement on headphone quality (with respect to
FR). But there is very strong agreement.

The agreement is to be expected.
It's the usual question about what is the weakest link, and what
determines what the listener hears.
Some headphones are so bad that nobody's pinnae can help them.
Others are really good.

Then, by that reasoning, the better the headphones, the _greater_ the
disagreement among listeners as to what they sound like.

But this isn't true.

If you (Arny) picked out three headphones you thought were unusually good,
and three you thought were unusually bad, and I auditioned them blind (so
that my own biases were minimized), I'd be willing to bet that there would
be close to 100% agreement on which were good, which were bad, and why.