Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default If you had to replace HD 580 headphones...

"Glenn Carlson" wrote in message

On 20 Oct 2008 10:26:30 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:
My wife and I took a 2 week backwoods camp-and-canoe
vacation just lately. Unfortunately, our roving bionic
security facility (an edgy Jindo bitch named Sidney)
was kenneled elsewhere. Thief or thieves broke in,
removing about $3,500 worth of bicycles, computer LCD
displays and printer, headphones, and a nice GPS. Yes,
there's insurance.

There were a few jokes on the thieves. Among the
headphones they took were a well-abused pair of ATs
that were held together with polyurethane glue, hot
melt glue, and solder.

Unfortunately, the thieves also took my prized HD-580s,
unwashed ear pads and all. So, they have a little bit
of me to remember me by! ;-)

That leads to this question: What is *your* nomination
for replacements for my HD-580s?

HD 580s seem to have disappeared from the new equipment
marketplace. :-(

Are HD 595's the answer?

A used pair of HD414s. Get the original ones, not the
reissues. They sound very different.
--scott

Are those the ones with the yellow foam pads?
If so, I had the originals, 2 pairs in fact and they
always seemed to end up buzzing after a few years.
I dyed the ear pads blue BTW
(Hey, maybe then didn't like the blue!)

I've been occasionaly auditioning and avoiding HD 414s for decades, like
since they first came out in the 1960s, if memory serves.