Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Reitter David Reitter is offline

Default replacing 10W tweeters with higher RMS

As a follow-up to this thread, to summarize for people with a similar
problem.

I ended up replacing the broken tweeters in my M-Audio Studiophile DX4
with "Vifa BC25SC06-04 1" Textile Dome", which the good people at
Parts-Express.com helped me find. The have a good frequency response
in relation to the crossover frequency, and are relatively sensitive.
And, of course, the impedance is right (4 Ohms) and they fit in
physically (about 3 inch outer diameter). The OEM tweeters are no
longer available from M-Audio.

With these tweeters, the speakers sounded quite a bit too brilliant,
and I ended up using a software equalizer to get an approximate idea
of how much damping was needed (about 1-1.5 dB). From this, I picked
out the right configuration for a T-Pad (attenuator) (0.5 Ohms serial,
28 Ohms parallel speaker side, 10W each for 1.15dB attenuation). The
closest resistors I could find at my local RadioShack were 2x1Ohms and
50+100Ohms, for each speaker. (There are plenty of T-Pad calculators
available on the Web.)

The results sound pretty good and are certainly acceptable for my
purposes: good, near-field speakers, not for mastering.