Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default replacing 10W tweeters with higher RMS

"David (World) Reitter" wrote...
I have inquired with M-Audio and it turns out they no longer stock
parts for these speakers.
So I'm back to my original quest for reasonable replacement tweeters.

I should probably mention that these monitors don't serve any kind of
studio purpose - I just wanted better speakers for my desk, and near-
field monitors seemed like a good idea. That should make things
easier.

What I do know about them is shown below.
The tweeters themselves say they're 10Wmax (is this RMS?), and I was
looking for 1-inch dome tweeters with a good near-linear frequency
response from 1400Hz or so. I'm just not sure what else to look for,
especially since I don't know much about the original drivers.

HF driver: 1" mylar cone with OptImage dispersion-controlled wave

Since this is an *active* speaker it means that the exact parameters of
the tweeter have less influence on things like crossover performance,
etc. OTOH, you probably won't find the magic "OptImage dispersion-
controlled waveguide" though. IMHO, the physical size and the low-
end response (at least down to the crossover frequency) would be the
prime considerations.

You should research 3rd party sources of OEM drivers and eBay, etc.