Posted to rec.audio.tech
David (World) Reitter David (World) Reitter is offline

Default replacing 10W tweeters with higher RMS

Thanks, Richard and Dick for your advice. I've e-mailed M-Audio and
hope they have a replacement for me.

On Mar 29, 1:07*pm, Dick Pierce wrote:
The best choice by far is toreplacethe tweeters with
the sametweeter. The system was designed around specific
components with their individual properties,

Point well taken.

Further, you don't know why the tweeters don't work or
what caused them to fail. It might have been a once-
only occurrance where someone accidently sent a very loud
transient through the system, or an amplifier failed,
or any such thing.

I measured resistance and couldn't get any current to go through it.
It should be around 4 ohm, I guess.

However, this morning the tweeter in question magically started
working. I had given it a fair amount of abuse with a vacuum cleaner
last night (the middle bit of the membrane was pushed in when I bought
it - Wikipedia tells me this is a dust cap?). I don't what made it
work suddenly. Resistance of that driver is now showing at a little
over 4 ohm.

Perhaps there's something about speakers that I should know..?

I'm probably trying to get new tweeters anyways, as these speakers
still sound very dull unless I boost high frequencies at the source,
and the high freqs seem louder on one speaker than on the other.
Would such degradation be typical?

What model speakers are they? How old are they? Perhaps
more information might help some of us help you better.

These are M-Audio Studiophile DX4 active monitors.

- D