Vintagemaniac Vintagemaniac is offline
Junior Member

Location: Finland
Wink

My wild guess is: there is somewhere too much capacitance for the cartridge, since MM cartridges might be sensitive to capacitances. With MC cartridges the load must be correct, but capacitance don't affect the sound in any way.

Marantz E5000 is made by Empire and this model isn't their top model (easy to see of recommended tracking force 1,25 - 2,5 grams) that is quite high compared to high quality MM cartridges.

I have tried Marantz E5000 with Marantz 6370Q + 3300 + 240 + HD880 and the result was quite clear high register. Still there are better cartridges than that.

My point is the problems are not necessarily caused by lack of quality. The reason could be electronic interference. Old time vintage magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazen View Post
I have got a Rega Planet 2 with Marantz E5000 cartridge...
Which quality has this cartridge? Any experience?

The combination Rega/Marantz sounds to me a little closed (damped and
without fine resolution) compared to my other turntable:
Turntable Technics SL-MA1
Cartridge Ortofon TMC-200

Can it be caused by Rega Planar 2 or by the cartridge Marantz E5000?

Thank you
Drazen