Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Wire that sounds different, guaranteed

"Rob Tweed" wrote in message

I've been wondering whether, if you look at the issue the other way
round, there's a minimum standard of cable beyond which there are no
discernable differences?

Leaving out cables that are broken, I have to admit that I can't recall ICs
that were so bad that they had a bad effect on audio to an extent that would
be remotely audible.

In other words, if you look at the cheapo end of the cable market
instead, as you get cheaper and crappier, is it reasonable to assume
that at some point you *will* hear a deterioration in sound?

If you are talking about speaker wire, there's enough 24 gauge speaker wire
being sold to raise some concens.

24 gauge wire has about 24 ohms per 1,000 feet, which is 2.4 ohms per 100
feet of wire, or almost 5 ohms oer 100 feet of 2-conductor cable. That
means that a 20 foot 24 gauge speaker cable has 1 ohm of resistance which
can cause audible variations in the response of a typical 8 ohm speaker. It
is about as bad as a pretty good tubed amp in that regard!