Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] Kevin McMurtrie[_3_] is offline

Default Microphone Preamp Front-End Architecture

In article ,
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

"Randy Yates" wrote ...
Kevin McMurtrie writes:
The output of that follower also drives a shield on the input wire.

"that" follower? Which one? Are you talking about shielded, twisted
pair cable?

The result is a virtually perfect cable with no capacitance and no
insulation losses. (It only works as long as the electrical
wavelength of the input is much longer than the wire, as with audio.)

Without the previous clarifications, it's hard for me to grok this
last statement, but it sounds like an interesting result.

He appears to be talking about the technique of using a "driven guard"
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/sta...umber=00706021
I hold a patent for using that technique to probe very low currents
on semiconductor wafers.

I figured out where my copy of "The Art of Electronics" was hiding.
"Driven guard" or "bootstrapped guard" is it.

It's funny that a patent can be granted for the application of that to
silicon wafers sensors.