Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Microphone Preamp Front-End Architecture

On 3/23/2010 10:41 PM Audio Empire spake thus:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:43:30 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

Why are we even discussing microphone transformers here? (I guess this
is the Usenet version of "telephone".) I mean, the OP didn't mention
them; neither did they mention phantom power, yet everyone seemed to
jump to the conclusion that this would be a crucial consideration.

I'd say that since a differential amp practically eliminates common-mode
noise, there's no reason *not* to use one (which, after all, was the
question the OP asked).

Sheesh.

That's what I said. I only brought-up transformers as an alternative (after
all, they do replace diff amps in some designs) and to show that this older
technology was at once more expensive and less effective than are modern
differential amplifiers.

Yes. My exasperation wasn't directed at you, but at some replies
up-thread of yours.

- a Usenet "apology"