Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default M-Audio and Virtual Audio Cable

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in
message

Thinking of using an M-Audio card with Virtual Audio
Cable to convert surround sound to PCM spdif.

The idea is to use something like the Audiophile 2496 to
get an analog 4 channel output.

There are only 2 analog outputs on that card. I know, I have one! I also
have every other interface I mention in this post.

Feed this into the 4 inputs,

There are only analog 2 inputs on that card.

sample at 24/96 and use Virtual Cable to route
one pair of signals to the M-Audio spdif o/p, and the
other to the mobo soundchip (Realtek) spdif o/p.

That can work, giving a total of 4 outputs on SP/DIF.

Any opinions?

I'd get a Delta 1010LT, and do the job and have some channels in reserve.
All for not much more than the cost of M-Audio's legacy 4-channel card, the
Deltat 66.

I also need an end-to-end of better than 105dB s/n

The anlog I/O on a Delta 2496 won't go there, either. A Delta 1010LT will
get you pretty close.