Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Saw Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer at Carnegie Hall last night

Glenn Carlson wrote:

Bottom line, real talent doesn't need the tricks, unless of course it is a
huge room and then the laws of physics come into play.

Unfortunately, it's not about the laws of physics, it's about the laws
of economics. An unknown Amy Grant might be willing to play in a church
with just her guitar and a pianist, but "real talent" (that is, those
with the talent and backing to make large amounts of money with their
music performances) can't afford to play acoustic gigs for a couple of
hundred people. Not unless they can set up small gigs with high enough
ticket prices so that they can maintain their standard of living. If
they need to walk away from a gig with $100,000 and want to play for 200
people, tickets need to be $500. I know some people will pay that. Maybe
they should try. Who should we book first?

The sad part is that we have so very little real talent these days.
I've been listening to the local radio station for the past 2 hours while
taking care of work and every song sounds like an updated 50
s tune with c am f g and back again only with a croaker vocal.....
It's terrible.

We have a lot of good talent these days, though some of it has been
around for many years and is still going. You're just listening to the
wrong radio stations. But it's easy to find a lot of manufactured pop
that doesn't have a lot of staying power but can be a good live show if
you protect your ears.

me he
)