Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Saw Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer at Carnegie Hall last night

" writes:

The best kind of sound system: none. 3rd balcony, not close.
Sounded completely awesome. So happy to hear music not going through
electronics. They just function at a level beyond my comprehension.
I have no idea what planet they're from. How can they play like that
without their heads exploding?

No electronic tuners, either. They tuned by ear after every song.

I saw Nickel Creek here a few years back. PA too loud, as usual. But at the 3rd or
fourth encore, Chris and the band did something usual. They invited the remaining
house - about 200 people - to come down close to the stage, and then they asked that
the PA be shut down. They did two more tunes huddled around at the edge of the
apron (this was in a 2800 seat house). Oh my! What an experience. It was on par with
hearing Isaac Stern, Leontine Price, et al, live, but in the modern bluegrass genre.

So consider yourself very lucky to have heard that genius level of playing truly
live, with nothing between you and the player except air. Then you strive to make
your recordings have the same impact. You might process the hell out of it, or you
might not -- but at least you now know what the greatest of the great playing
*really* feels and sounds like. (And you're right - head exploding is a risk!!!)
Congrats! (Sorry I missed it. Darn.)

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio