Posted to rec.audio.pro
Skler

Default Just why is this worth eight thousand dollars?

'Cause the guy who bought it is crazy! ;-)

"J. P. Morris" wrote in message
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...0QQitemZ970019
9726QQcategoryZ15000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its

original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

And here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIWA-3-HEAD-REEL...PE_W0QQitemZ97
03183995QQcategoryZ15000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

(Although I note the apparent shills have been busy at work here too.)

Q: "WE'VE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED $3000,00. We will accept $6000,oo with free
shipping. The only other one of these just sold for 7900.00. Thanks bill."

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima