Toby

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...

Well, for whatever reason, I can't listen to the piece, because my computer
gets the wim-wams from trying to play the stream. Ah, Windows...

But I'll comment below on what I haven't heard.

Like I said, I haven't heard this piece. But I've had a good deal of
experience with recording acoustic guitars, and some thoughts on string
soise. First, were you using brand-new strings? They tend to over-emphasize
the various noises strings are heir to. Strings about 3 days old are still
sounding fresh and clean but don't have that over-squeaky sound.

Also, I work in a store that sells Seagull guitars, and they do seem to be
particularly prone to string noise, so you'll want to do what you can to
keep it under control. Yes, it's part of the sound, but there's part of the
sound and then there's exaggerated part of the sound.

Finally, both of the microphones you used in this recording are
bright-sounding -- if the MD421 is a Mark II, I'd say very bright, to the
point of wiry -- and both will exaggerate string noise. A flatter microphone
will do less of that. Lower-cost mike preamps (you didn't list a preamp in
your chain) also tend to exaggerate string noise.

Even more finally, see if you can find a way to record without picking up
the noise of your computer's fan. Noise reduction algorithms have come a
long way, but they still add artifacts to the sound, not usually attractive.
If you can get away from this, I think you'll be pleased.

Peace,
Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks so much for the valuable feedback.
Now I'm really curious if you would think this recording has an over
abundance of string squeek. I'm hoping you get a chance to listen and
give me your feedback.
The preamps used are from a Mackie 1202VLZ straight into the pres and
back out again.
Thanks for the mic information, I'm looking to upgrade and need a
matched stereo pair. Any recommendations?
I'm also going to rearrange my studio space to reduce fan noise. I
agree, noise reduction algorhythms have come a long way but there are
definitely artifacts.

Thanks again,
Toby