Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Searching for a Term

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:09:30 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
Scott wrote:

On Friday, June 7, 2013 8:10:45 PM UTC-7, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

There are potentially many of the oldest recordings that are

treasures for the music, but I also love great sound quality. So I

wish to search Amazon for modern recordings that are re-staged and

re-recorded classic arrangments. But I don't know how to ask it -

what terms to use for modern versions of old arrangements.

Anyone?

I have no idea what you are trying to look for here. What do you mean

by "re-staged" or "rerecorded?" Are you looking for things like

Stokowsky's reworking of Ravel's arrangement of Pictures at an

Exhibition? Transcriptions of Shubert songs by Listz? Are you just

looking for newer recordings of the old warhorses of the classic

repertoire?

See what I mean? Hard to find an exact term for it, especially for a Google

or Amazon search term.

Suppose you have a 78 of a Fletcher Henderson jazz number, or maybe the

classic Benny Goodman Ebony Concerto. What I want is a fresh recording

copying the instrumentation, style, and arrangements of these fascinating

classics, recorded anew as if they had our equipment in 1923. I have one

such attempt by Simon Rattle, doing some old arrangements, and it is

fascinating. I also think more interesting than modern arrangements. Bands

used to have a certain style, like you could tell a Marty Paich from a Basie

or a Russ Elgart or anything else. They had a certain instrumentation and

bounce and rhythm that was unique.

To accomplish this, the musicians would have to study the old recordings and

try to identify the instrumentation, then write the arrangements to match.

It may be mostly guesswork, but I'm sure they could come close. Maybe no one

else thinks this would sell, but if they have done it I would like to know

how to find it.

Gary Eickmeier

Closest thing I can think of would be the piano roll recordings made by Klavier. I'm sure you know that in classical most artists are already playing the same arrangements.