Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mal Thomas Mal Thomas is offline

Default Need Help with speaker control

I have just become aware that one of the variable resistors (Mid Frequency
Attenuator) on the rear of one of my speakers is on the fritz.

Either the MF driver cuts out and/or the resistor, when turned, is noisy. I
have managed to 'clean' the resistor somewhat by turning it back and forth a
few times, but it is still a little noisy.

http://flickr.com/photos/22432327@N02/3136967471/ photo here.

Now I very little knowledge of the internals of a speaker so I would
appreciate some advice from someone who is more qualified than I am.

Looking at the panel in the photo, I would presume removing it would give me
ready access to the resistor, but can I expect any sealant here or are the
screws the only thing holding it in ?

I know I can get replacements of these things from an electronics components
shop, so any clue as to the type or rating would be appreciated.

Failing replacement, can I simply bypass it by removing it altogether?. I
usually run the MF one wide open, so I won't be too bothered if I lose the
control.

At the moment I have managed to find a spot where the driver is working, but
I'd prefer to find a more permanent solution.

TIA
Cheers
Mal
Oz