Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Checkin in. So how's my problem child doing these days?

On Sep 24, 9:52*pm, Alejandro Lieber alejan...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On 09/22/2011 06:51 AM, Patrick Turner wrote:

Back in the days when I earned slightly more, I might go through a
tonne of wood a year. After about 15 years of blazing open fires, I
then I put a steel drop door in front of the fire to slow the flow of
hot air up the chimney. That made the open fire about 3 times more
efficient but it still wasn't much cheaper than electricity. But now
electricity has gone up and wood is marginally cheaper, and I should
demolish the front of the fire place and put in a decent cast iron
wood heater with turbo flow action, which would work better than my
home brew enclosed fire place. But the list of what I should do is a
long one, and very easily dismissed as expensive vanity, and of course
firewood ain't cheap, about $300 a tonne now, and when you buy a
tonne, the weight docket is false of course, a complete fiction, so
what ya pay is more like $600 a tonne. The extra two skivies and a
jumper are looking good.

--

Patric:

Next year, when I'll have to sell this 15 years old eucalyptus trees, I
will get, with luck, U$ 28 a metric tonne. How many tonnes do I keep for
you ?
But you have to come and get them here in Argentina.

http://lieber.com.ar/euca.jpg

Alejandro Lieber *LU1FCR
Rosario Argentina

Gees Rosario, I'd feel right at home over there in your forest of "gum
trees". Don't worry, despite the most terrible forest management
practices by Forest Industries here and the best efforts by GOD to
burn vast areas of gum tree forests in big bush fires, we still have
plenty gum trees in Oz, so I won't come to collect any wood.

But those trees you have look like they are nice and straight and when
they are sawn into logs and maybe milled after being air dried or kiln
dried, they should be worth much more than USD $28.00 per tonne. See
http://www.finlayson.com.au/download...l_hardwood.pdf

You need to "value add" to get more money. Growing trees for firewood
seems silly, and also woodchipping for paper seems silly, when far
better use for timber can be found.

Patrick Turner.