Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Checkin in. So how's my problem child doing these days?

On Sep 19, 12:05*am, John L Stewart John.L.Stewart.
wrote:
'Engineer[_2_ Wrote:

;938999']On Sep 13, 1:03*pm, John Byrns wrote:-
In article

,

*Reid wrote:-
Way back when, a bit over 16 years ago in fact, I wrote this:

http://groups.google.com/group/news....browse_thread/....
a934bbff7e1550#-
-
I pop in occasionally to see how it's doing. *It seems that despite
some horrific flame wars and personality clashes (and the

inevitable
influx of spam), this group is still useful. *I'm pleased.-
-
What do you think? *Is this still a cool place?-

Considering the general decline of the usenet, it is doing better than

one might
expect, it is definitely still a cool place. *Unfortunately the group

is
currently suffering through one of its worst periods as a result of

constant OT
political posts by a craized Australian wing nut, one can only hope

that he will
eventually tire of his OT silliness.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, *http://fmamradios.com/-

John, in defence (that's Canadian!) *of Patrick, he may have a style
that some don't like but he has some of the best understanding of tube
audio you can find anywhere. *So, let's discuss content... good, bad,
and indifferent, and avoid personal remarks!
Best to all.
Cheers,
Roger

John B talks a lot but we see no work, action or otherwise. John B
depends on others to research his ideas as he continues to dream on.

Patrick T talks a lot and we see lots of action & results. And some very
important political comments, all worth our consideration.

Take your pick! My 2 schillings, anyway.

John L Stewart

And to avoid another stoopid war of words about the 2008 GFC and how
the world is still fulla problems the deniers refuse to aknowledge, I
suggest they read a book, titled 'EXREME MONEY : The Masters of the
Universe and the Cult of Risk" written by Satayit Das, published bt
Penguin, $32..95 in Oz.

The problem of all OT discussions is that discussees so often are
fulla misinformed beliefs about 101 things, leading them to
inconsistent behaviours where, for example, while they earn more than
100 grand a year, they think the rich should pay more taxes, but oh
no, not them. Or, All immigrants are gate crashing arsoles when their
grandparents arrived in the great increase in population of the USA
about 80 years ago, when the USA opened its arms to all manner of of
the poor and the down trodden. Oh, and greenhouse effect. To many ppl
it ain't happening, and if it is, someone else is the cause. But
were'e all in this world together and equal rights and duty of care
apply. Trouble with greenhouse is that its such a slow moving effecxt,
its easily denied. In 50 years, YOUR better educated offspring will
have a better idea and be more concerned about doing something about
it but of course scientists know the CO2 may take +20dB longer time to
reduce after we've increased it. So survival will be the focus in 50
years, and in 500 years, as it always has been IMHO. So there's no use
calling be wrong about worldy stuff, that ain't gonna make you right,
or make me right when I'm wrong, but even unpleasant worldly trends
are part of the wonderment of being human, and worth discussion.

I can think all about tube things for 1/2 my day, but I'd be a mental
retard if my mind didn't stray to other matters of worldly importance.
While some would be say I'm well on the way to being 100% insane,
usually its the pot calling the kettle black.

I'd be more enthusastic about working on tube stuff today if were not
for a fuct ankle which I crushed in a motorcycle prang some 43 years
ago and the arthritis is now preventing big efforts to control the
garden at my joint.
Two weeks of spring gardening has me hobbling around like a cripple,
and I even suffered during a bike ride yesterday.
BUT, I will get time to plant a few pumpkin seeds and let pumpkin
plants run amok over the huge heap of garden refuse I've gathered up
so that my front yard looks a bit like a wog's backyard. But the 25
cubic metres of fairly well compacted stuff is a Neat Heap, not a
mess. We are not allowed to burn stuff off like we used to, and costs
for rubbish removal is high, so what can be composted should be
composted IMHO, because it otherwise is composted at commercial
premises which sell it back to the public. In 3 years when the heap
reduces, maybe I get to make the sunny bit of ground grow a few
vegies.

Of course we cremate bodies here OK, maybe 6 grand a pop, and one day
I'll zip up the chimney like the others and my atoms will find others
to make whoopee with and form new life, and the future world. BTW,
this is real re-incarnation, nothing to be frightened of. We are here
to only borrow a few atoms for awhile, and then they are re-cycled.
Burying under 6 feet of ground seems such a silly slow way to re-cycle
a body, and without O2 involved much you tend to get CH4, much worse
than CO2.

Hopefully, my atoms won't find their way into too many problem
children, mentioned in the title of this thread.

Patrick Turner.