Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Got the mastered tracks back!!! Now I see what mastering does!!!

Alex writes:
I had a listen and it really didnt sound any different at all!
Everything seemed a little clearer, and the high hats pushed
through a bit more, could make out the vocalists words a bit
better - it wasnt bad before, the mastering has just subtly made

it a little "cleaner"..........

snip
one of the targets of the mastering engineer (the main one) is not
to change the original sound more as strictly needed. This is
imperative in the matter of respect of the early production steps.

There's that word, and this is important, "respect" of the
earlier steps. IT sounds like you found the right mastering
engineer for the type of material you do, and that's a good
sign. Keep his number!!!

snip
Some technical processing are sometimes needed in order
to make the material more compatible with his final media.
Relative levels, fades, songs spacing, correlation, panorama,
dynamic range, air and deepth are controlled with the word
"respect" always in mind. You can see the mastering step like a
final "check", and "corrections" will take place only where needed.
Everytime i have doubts about the original sound i will ask the
client for the permission to change it, providing him some samples
to hear. Don't expect a big audible changes in the mastering,
except where the mix has problems.

Agreed, which is why I always suggest you be present during
the mastering session as well, if possible. The added bonus
of being present at the mastering session is that you'll
learn if you can do anything to avoid needed changes on
later mixes possibly. Attending the mastering session can
help you learn a lot of things about your working
environment while mixing, etc.

Glad it worked out for you Will!!!

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see www.gatasound.com