Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill willbill is offline

Default Home Theater Advice - Receivers and Speakers

bob wrote:

On Dec 15, 11:26 am, willbill wrote:

1st, let replies come in!

do NOT buy anything for at least 2 weeks!
i've seen too many people do posts like
yours and then buy something 3 days later!
don't do that!!

This is very good advice.

OTOH, if there's anyone out there who's lazy and just wants to be told
what to buy, here's what I'd say: Buy the best Paradigm speaker set
you can afford. And then buy the best Denon receiver you can afford
with what's left.

Can you do better? Probably. But for people who don't want to put the
time and effort into speaker evaluation, this approach at least
guarantees that your system will not suck.

bob

very good advice by you also

i figure i'll wait a few days and see if he
has the willingness to do any work with some
follow-up posting

i don't have any Paradigm speakers, nor knowledge
of them; i do have an inexpensive ($800) 1 year old
Denon AVR, and am rather impressed with it

a good AVR is a good AVR is a good AVR.

it is, however, the most complex piece of
hardware (music/video) that i've ever owned;
especially the remote. i still only know
half of what it can do and making 5.1 sound
adjustments (for the "6" speakers (5 +2 subs)
it a total pain

when i bought my 2nd sub 10 days ago, i asked
the sales guy (fairly knowledgeable) if any
of their other good AVRs (all Denon and Pioneer
Elite) were any more easy to use. he said:
"not really" which frankly shocks me

bill