Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Tom MacIntyre

Default Is my LT44 transformer suitable for audio (de)coupling?

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:46:14 GMT, Lostgallifreyan
wrote:

Tom MacIntyre wrote in
:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:51:05 GMT, Lostgallifreyan
wrote:

Tom MacIntyre wrote in
:

On Mon, 01 May 2006 20:38:58 GMT, Lostgallifreyan
wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in
:

Audio band white noise is totally dominated by high frequency
noise !!

White noise has equal amounts of all frequencies. We hear the HF
dominate because higher frequencies have more energy. (And because
our ears are more sensitive to it).

Ears are most sensitive around 1k, aren't they?

Tom

Probably. I wasn't thinking hard about that, I was just caught by
the claim that HF dominates white noise in the audio band, when white
noise is defined as being made up of all frequencies present with
equal energy in each.

Hmmm...equal energy means that it would be more energy per octave at
higher frequencies, right?

Tom

Yes, but that comes down to how you define the scale. The only reason,
following from that, to say that HF dominates in the audio band, is because
of expressing a log scale as lin, as pitch as opposed to frequency. If you
say that the pitch notation is purely based on musical needs, and prefer
the frequency scale for electronics analysis, surely you also have to
discard with it the notion of HF dominance.

The reason the claim that HF dominates seems wrong to me, is I think a
peice of string is its own length, regardless of whether we measue in
inches or centimetres, let alone a nonlinear scale. White noise has a very
specific definition, in which energy is equal across the spectrum, does not
dominate part of it. It's out perception of pitch that does that.

Interesting about the string, because we can simulate musical octaves
by folding a piece of string in half again and again.

Wouldn't a scale from, say, 100 Hz to 1600 Hz sound "interesting" if
we used 100 Hz as the semitone, rather than 2^(1/12) x f? :-)

Tom