Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Earplugs

Gareth Magennis wrote:
My live EQ is Anti Jack.

There is A LOT of 3.15kHz taken out, and a reasonable amount either side.

This is usually a function of using PA speakers with a presence boost combined
with microphones (like the SM57) that have a presence boost. All that together
in a room means you often get way too much exaggeration in that region.

This is where a lot of my obsession with flat microphones like the 441 comes
from.

50Hz is boosted, 40Hz also but not as much, or you will upset the
management. 80Hz cut gets rid of a lot of room boom. 125Hz boosted a
little, gives a lot of friendly warmth.

In small clubs, there are often big room modes in the 125 Hz range, sometimes
a little higher or lower. So I find myself often pulling out around there.

This means you can be in the room for 8 hours without any ear fatigue, and
it sounds like a good hi-fi used to sound, not some blaring club system
trying to deafen you for some unknown reason.

I think the key to preventing ear fatigue is a combination of reasonable
levels, low distortion, and some degree of time alignment. Rooms that are
too live and have stuff coming back in all directions delayed cause issues
with clarity and intelligibility that can't be fixed, and attempts to boost
in the presence region to fix them just cause fatigue.