Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Earplugs

gareth magennis wrote: "Hi,

so, some customers are asking for earplugs at a live event. (sometimes
including children)
As sound engineer, I feel it is my duty to do what I can and provide them
when requested.

What devices work well at reasonable cost?
(I am in the UK, which is no longer part of Europe, unfortunately)

Cheers,

Gareth. "

Ear plugs do not address the root cause of
the problem: The show is TOO LOUD.

As the engineer, you should explain to your
clients(the promoters, the organization hosting
the event, the band itself, etc.) in a tactful way
that the sound is too loud for some of the paying
customers. If, THEY, in the first place, cannot
grasp the concept of 'reasonably loud' for a given
event, then it is up to you to take appropriate
measures. The clients may not have asked it to
be at a certain volume; they simply don't get
what is reasonable and what is not. If they do
ask you to really 'crank it up' ahead of time, or
keep asking you to make louder during show, then
it is your duty to explain the consequences: that
customers are complaining and are starting to
demand ear plugs or other protection.

The need to wear ear plugs at an event where
the volume can be controlled indicates something
is wrong. This is not Nascar, or an indoor monster
truck event or airshow, where the engines cannot
simply be turned down. It is a concert or musical
where the sound is controllable.