Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Compressor for open mic live sound?

DanielleOM wrote:

Although I have used a DAW compressor, I have not used one in a live sound
setting. I host a weekly open mic in Windsor, CT. It seems I always get a
few people with tremendous dynamic range where they go from almost a whisper
to screaming vocals.

Any one use one for that type of environment?

Danielle

Leave those people to their foolishness. Turn it down to the point that
their lower passages might get lost, just to avoid clipping the system
when they go berserk.

You can't use a compressor to make an expert out of a beginner or an
ignorantus. At some point people who are serious about singing into a PA
will dig in and learn something about mic technique. In the past few
years I have been astonished how many experienced, successful, touring
folkies have no clue about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri