Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Did we really improve redbook format in the last 15 years or so?

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:18:00 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:38:47 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"ST" wrote in message

[ excess quoting snipped ]

Have you compared specs or done some bench checks to
see that the output of the two devices was the same
within
0.1 dB?

That's difficult. Under real-world circumstances, I find
that 0.25 dB is about all one can realistically hope
for.

IME matching electrical levels within 0.1 dB using
steady tones is very doable.

I'm not talking about electrical levels. Anybody with an
oscillator/test tone CD and an audio voltmeter can do
that. I mean acoustically, at the listening seat using an
SPL meter.

There's *never* a need to match levels acoustically if you are comparing
DACs and digital players.

The only need to match levels acoustically that I know of is if you are
comparing microphones or speakers.