Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anders Svinndal Anders Svinndal is offline

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea - Normalizing?

"hank alrich" skrev i melding
Anders Svinndal wrote:

As others have mentioned I can't see any reason to normalize individual
tracks in a multi-track project. However; if the final mix has a
peak-level
some dB below 0 dBFS I can't see any reason not to normalize it. Most of
us
will record and mix in 24 bit which have more headroom then the final 16
bit
CD, so normalizing the mix before dithering to 16 bit will make better
use
of the dynamic range on the final CD.

I would leave level maximizing to the mastering engineer. I would not
put him/her in the position of having to reduce the level of my tracks
to get them all to match nicely. I'd leave him headroom to work with.

I totally agree on that! You should send the mixes to the mastering studio
in 24 bit format. (Yes, I do recommend using a professional mastering
studio.) All processing (eq, compressing, limiting, normalizing) should be
done in this format. Than, as a last thing, they should dither to 16 bit.