Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea - Normalizing?

Soundhaspriority wrote:

With modern 32 bit DAW software, normalizing a track has no audible effect
on the final mixdown, provided that you don't take the loudness of the
normalized track as some kind of indicator as to how loud it should be in
the mix.

Which means that unless you allow adequate headroom during
normalization, you are likely going to have to reduce the track's level
at mix. I try not to let the DAW do anything unnecessary, and nevermind
what 32 bit should or shouldn't do to the sound. Once I have a small
pile of tracks being altered the sum of all those supposedly
impreceptible actions may become obvious.

Normalizing is essential for one step in CD production. Before the 24 bit or
32 bit files are dithered and downsampled to the CD 16/44 Redbook format,
these files should be normalized. To fail to normalize means that some of
the possible quality of the CD format is lost.

You will not increase resolution of your original tracks by
normalization. And further, normalization is no way to get song-to-song
level compatiblity for a collection of songs.

--
ha
"Iraq" is Arabic for "Vietnam"