Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mal Thomas Mal Thomas is offline

Default Optical vs Copper

On 3/12/08 8:59 PM, in article
, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Mal Thomas" wrote in message

I noted a brief quip in a recent Hi-Fi Choice mag that a
metal digital cable (coax) sounds better than an optical
cable.

That is a very old urban myth.

Obviously what sounds better to someone is
entirely subjective (assuming no major defects along the
way).

Not true.

Huh ? Not subjective ?? ********. People will have difference tastes,
likes or dislikes when listening to music through a system. Personally I
prefer detail and accuracy - using a live performance say, at a small jazz
club, or listening to a fella playing an acoustic guitar in a pub as a
reference. I am far from reaching that goal but I enjoy the challenge of
meeting it and I get to listen to a lot of music along the way.

A late friend of mine yearned for a very strong bottom end, which I found
overly boomy and unpleasant. He hated my system as he reckoned it was too
'tinny'.

We both liked the sound of our respective systems - but who is right and who
is wrong? A subjective debate would ensue I would imagine.

I am certain that you will disagree with this as I suspect you also have
your own preferences for what gives you enjoyment when listening to music;
your preferences may be different from mine or Jim down the road - but this
doesn't make it 'wrong' or 'right' - it's simply a subjective preference.

Well informed persons understand that without some reference
point, sounds good or sounds bad is just hot air.

Concur.

This topic is a waste of time, particularly for cables under a meter. Common
Toslink cables have a distance limit of about 10 meters.

Sorry if you felt this was a waste of time, I found it useful.

Cheers
Mal
Oz