Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Optical vs Copper

"Mal Thomas" wrote in message

On 3/12/08 7:35 PM, in article
, "Eeyore"
wrote:

Mal Thomas wrote:

Greetings,

I noted a brief quip in a recent Hi-Fi Choice mag that
a metal digital cable (coax) sounds better than an
optical cable.

Ignore it them. These mags are written by idiots to be
read by idiots. Either can transfer a digital signal
perfectly accurately unless abused, misused or
incorrectly manufactured and that's all that matters.

Yeah probably, the distance is only 80cm so the distance
argument for optical doesn't apply.

Agreed.

I suppose the ONLY
argument I can see for optical here is that RFI etc is
not a problem.

Not a logical reason to make a change.

Then again, if the coax is properly
shielded it won't be an issue for copper either.

Probably.

It would be nice though to understand why they made such
a statement, other than to sell more expensive copper
cables.

They were desperate for audio news, so they found and old chestnut and tried
to serve it up as something new.

Cynical I suppose, but possible.

Might imply more strategic thinking than these kind of numnuts are capable
of. ;-)