Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mal Thomas Mal Thomas is offline

Default Optical vs Copper

On 3/12/08 7:35 PM, in article , "Eeyore"
wrote:

Mal Thomas wrote:

Greetings,

I noted a brief quip in a recent Hi-Fi Choice mag that a metal digital cable
(coax) sounds better than an optical cable.

Ignore it them. These mags are written by idiots to be read by idiots. Either
can transfer a digital signal perfectly accurately unless abused, misused or
incorrectly manufactured and that's all that matters.

Graham

Yeah probably, the distance is only 80cm so the distance argument for
optical doesn't apply. I suppose the ONLY argument I can see for optical
here is that RFI etc is not a problem. Then again, if the coax is properly
shielded it won't be an issue for copper either.

It would be nice though to understand why they made such a statement, other
than to sell more expensive copper cables. Cynical I suppose, but possible.

Cheers
Mal
Oz