Bob Cain

Bill Van Dyk wrote:
Can you correct me if I'm wrong-- it appears to me that the new Hi-MD
still records in a proprietary compression algorithym, but you are able
to convert it to a wave file on your computer.

It just packages it uniquely. The data in the files is
truly uncompressed if that's how you record it. The utility
doesn't change the data but just the package around it from
their .omg file to the standard .wav file.

If true, that would make it considerably less attractive as a medium,
wouldn't it?

Sure would. There is still a gotcha. It is reported that
it will allow you to upload (or attempt to upload) only
twice before erasing your recording from the disc. Should
both uploads fail for whatever reason (system crash, power
outage, etc.) your recording is lost.

Come to think of it, though, I haven't actually heard anyone
who reports this problem say that they pulled the plug part
way through the attempts to see if the mark or "erasure"
occurs at the start of the transfer or after it is complete.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein