Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Haley Andrew Haley is offline

Default DAC Differences

Audio_Empire wrote:

Certain things in the world of physics and electronics, for
instance, tell me that wire can have no sound. I've enough
experience testing cables in the aerospace industry to know how
different frequencies are affected by such things as resistance,
capacitance and inductance, and I know that wire can have no sound
because none of those three criteria as found in competently made
audio cables can have any effect at audio frequencies (unless they
are added to the cable by the manufacturer, then, of course, we no
longer have a conductor, we have a fixed filter). So I'm never
surprised when DBTs show no difference between cables. But here's
the rub. Expecting there to be no difference is just as much of a
bias as is expecting there to be an audible difference. So double
blind and ABX tests wouldn't be bias free for such a participant.
All cables sound alike is the expectation so no matter if the cables
sounded different or not, the biased listener is not going to hear
it.

Perhaps, but I don't have to hear differences between components
myself to be a believer: I just have to know that, in tests, someone
can hear the difference. These tests have to be sensitive and
repeatable, that's all. So, all you need is someone with good hearing
who does believe. Besides, the listener doesn't need to know what is
being compared.

Andrew.