Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Default Can you use a Mac Mini as a conduit?

In article ,
Robert Peirce wrote:

I have all my music on a Drobo S connected to a MacBook Pro. If I want
to, I can mount a DAC via Firewire on the MBP and process music up to
196/24, which is beyond the capabilities of the built-in Core Audio.
The problem is the MBP is too far away from the Hi-Fi system and I
cannot locate it any closer.

I tried a first generation AppleTV and it worked but I was limited to CD
quality, 44.1/16 (or maybe 24). I tried a long TosLink cable to another
DAC I have but found I couldn't get over 48/24 because of cable length.

It occurred to me the Mac Mini supports Firewire and I could network it
to my MBP the same way I did the AppleTV. Then I would need to have the
Mini access my Drobo via my MBP to obtain music to send to the DAC. I
would also need the MBP to be able to access the Mini in order to
control it. I can't mount the Drobo on the Mini because I also use it
for backups and for photograph storage and processing.

Has anybody made this work? If so, what do I need to know?

If you want to go the Mac Mini way, just connect the Drobo to the Mac
Mini, and the Mini to your DAC. You may want to put something like an
Audiophilleo in between. I'v done this and the improvement in sound
quality is significant.

Then use Screen Sharing (via the built-in Airport Express) on the MBP to
control the Mini, and through that the Drobo. Done.

This also considerably simplifies the music pathway and leaves the MBP
free for other duties when not actually scheduling/changing the music.

Greg