Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Can you use a Mac Mini as a conduit?

This may not be appropriate for rec.audio.high-end, but it the kind of
thing somebody in this group might have tried.

[ It may be better suited for rec.audio.tech, but I'm willing
to see how it goes, as the focus seems to be specifically
on high-end audio reproduction. -- dsr ]

I have all my music on a Drobo S connected to a MacBook Pro. If I want
to, I can mount a DAC via Firewire on the MBP and process music up to
196/24, which is beyond the capabilities of the built-in Core Audio.
The problem is the MBP is too far away from the Hi-Fi system and I
cannot locate it any closer.

I tried a first generation AppleTV and it worked but I was limited to CD
quality, 44.1/16 (or maybe 24). I tried a long TosLink cable to another
DAC I have but found I couldn't get over 48/24 because of cable length.

It occurred to me the Mac Mini supports Firewire and I could network it
to my MBP the same way I did the AppleTV. Then I would need to have the
Mini access my Drobo via my MBP to obtain music to send to the DAC. I
would also need the MBP to be able to access the Mini in order to
control it. I can't mount the Drobo on the Mini because I also use it
for backups and for photograph storage and processing.

Has anybody made this work? If so, what do I need to know?