Kevin McMurtrie

Default newbie question don't laugh: but what is that sticky stuff near the counterweight of the tonearm

In article ,
"Martin" wrote:

"Michael R. Kesti" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

Hmm, I bet sugarless would have better dampening properties.

That depends only on its water content which is typically going to
decrease with time.

I wonder whether sugerless gum would have better damping properties.

;-)

I imagine that the sugar crystals would vibrate at certain
frequencies and defeat the dampening.

Sugar would probably help because the crystals would be impedance
mismatches inside the gum. You'd never manage a standing wave.

(How long before this gets added to an "audiophile" web site next to the
replacement power cords that makes your once dull system sound like
magic?)