Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

Default Preamp With Remote Balance Control

On Feb 20, 3:09*am, Bret L wrote:
On Feb 19, 9:56*am, Boon wrote:

On Feb 19, 8:11*am, John Stone wrote:

On 2/19/10 1:21 AM, in article
, "Peter" reply to newsgroup

only wrote:
Since unfortunately many recordings are not always balanced well from right
to left, I would like to find a high-end, although not too high-end,
preamplifer that not only features XLR balanced input and output, but also a
remote control that includes balance control adjustment. *It would also be
helpful if it incorporated a simple phono stage.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and recommendations.

If nobody else has suggested this, most of the *Pass Labs X series (X1,
X2,etc.) preamps have remote balance ability. They are not very cheap, but
build quality is superb and they will last forever. They are fully balanced
from input to output. No built in phono stage, though.

Some of the more modern McIntosh preamps have all of these features,
but again at a high price.

*Are they true balanced or quasi balanced? *I myself don't know, I
suspect the latter.

What Trevor said about true balanced preamps being rare is absolutely
correct, so I may have to agree with you there.